Re: Mythtv Backend Init Script?

On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 02:53:43PM -0500, John Pierce wrote:
> > The mythbackend init script available from atrpms.net does not setup
> > $HOME when the script is run at boot time. This means that $HOME
> > defaults to / which is why you end up with /.mythtv/ entries in the
> > filesystem.
> >
> > The updated scripts in MythTV SVN
> > (http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/trunk/mythtv/contrib/init_scripts)
> > have been updated to daemonise mythbackend with a user (defaults to
> > root, see below) so that the MythTV config entries are created/read at
> > init time for a real user.
> >
> > When starting mythbackend from a terminal, $HOME is already configured
> > and so mythbackend uses $HOME/.mythtv/. This is the reason you can end
> > up with separate MythTV configurations in /, /root/ and /home/mythtv/
> > if you also run mythfrontend as the user 'mythtv'
> >
> > The reason the atrpms.net scripts do not use the daemonise 'user'
> > option is due to the lack of the audio and video groups on Fedora.
> > mythbackend requires access to the AV hardware when it starts and by
> > default on Fedora, only the root user has access to this. A user needs
> > to amend their installation's console permissions/udev scripts to
> > allow non-root users the access to the capture hardware they require
> > to allow mythbackend to run as another user.
> >
> Thanks, I read the comment inside the mythbackend init script from the
> atrpms package about the user issue, but I could not locate any in
> depth explanation about it.
>
> Now I can google for the udev/console perms for myth and maybe find
> the needed information.
>
> Again thanks for the explanation.

You will also need root priviledges for some real time capabilities,
or you will need a way to dispatch this to the mythtv user. If you
manage to get it all working the ATrpms init scripts are eagerly
waiting for your patch :)

But beware: Over the years many capable people have been trying to
cleanly sort this out, and finally resorted back to running the
backend under root.
--
Axel.Thimm at ATrpms.net