Re: broadcom wireless under F7 -- the recipe(?)

>> WEP is completely unsafe though, aircrack and related tools can crack it
>> with relative ease.  Unless you live in the wilderness WPA is a
>> necessity (and I use ssh tunnels for everything, including all web
>> traffic proxied through one, inside that in addition).
>
> If you are worried about security then run an ipsec or similar encrypted
> tunnel and don't bother with WEP or WPA or anything but the tunnel. That
> way and card works and the management is much easier

It's a little bit more complicated than that here -- I am not the only
user of the wireless network.  The rest of the family don't want the
hassle of dealing with ssh-agent passphrases every boot, so the WPA over
everything still gives them one layer of privacy.  I also have embedded
devices that can be on the WPA network but can't handle ipsec.

WPA recently had another unexpected use... due to "unauthorized
bittorrent usage" a certain teenage client needed to drop off the
Internet for a while to ponder his misdeeds, changing the AP WPA key and
updating the rest of the boxes' /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
was a neat solution that didn't have a workaround.

-Andy