Re: broadcom wireless under F7 -- the recipe(?)

> This seems my day to be difficult. This statement that WEP is easy to
> crack must be taken with a grain of salt. One has to visualize crackers
> driving down my street and cracking my WEP passphrase or strange
> people , probably with speakers in their ears and raincoats, wandering
> through the office. It could happen but on my street which goes nowhere
> they would stand out.

"WEP the protocol" is definitely unsafe.  They even have a game where
they keep prodding the access point to send something to give them more
grist for the cracking mill.

Your personal WEP network is only crackable by people physically close
to you, obviously, which cuts down the probability of attack hugely
compared to an internet connected device, for example.

> Although, if they want to do that let them. My communication with other
> machines is all encrypted (e.g, mail is ssl encrypted) so I am not sure
> what they would find out.

They could find out what machines you are talking to if it isn't inside
an encrypted tunnel.  Depending on who is looking and why that could be
bad.  If it's just that you mostly use SSL sites, don't forget that
there can be serious information leakage through Google query URLs that
are standard http, depending on what you use it for.

Anyway the chances anyone around you personally is interested in
cracking your WEP key is quite low as you suggest, but the thing itself
is quite easily cracked if anyone close enough wants to.

-Andy