Re: Gnome keyboard shortcuts in FC7

On Wed, 2007-08-01 at 22:36 -0700, Richard England wrote:
> If you want to know the actual keycode and keyseym for any key press
> in Xwindows, investigate the X utility calle "xev".  It was available
> on my F7 installation and I don't believe I installed anything more
> special than some of the developers tools.

I definitely do get responses from those keys in the Gnome keyboard
shortcut preferences, and xev too.  The keyboard does something. The
problem is in getting other things to pay attention to them.

I can use the same buttons for *some* other things, for instance I can
assign any of them to open a new terminal, and that works.  But the
audio mixer doesn't, nor any media players - I've tried mplayer, xmms,
rhythmbox and vlc.  I even tried to see if the back and forward buttons
had any effect on web browser navigation in Firefox and Opera, or file
system navigation in Nautilus.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-33.fc7 i686 i386