Gnome keyboard shortcuts in FC7

Hi,

I've just tried to set up some keyboard shortcuts, using Gnome, and
found that some will not do anything, just like when I tried to do the
same back on FC4, and I'm darned if I can find anything helpful about
this.

Some of the functions available in the editor do nothing, yet the keys
assigned do work, e.g. The lock screen function doesn't work, no matter
what keys I use as the shortcut.  Yet other functions do work, e.g. the
"Run a terminal" will open a terminal, even if I assign it a key without
a proper name, e.g. 0x7a showing in the configuration window.

Desktop
 Launch help browser - does nothing
 Log out - haven't tested
 Sleep - haven't tested
 Lock screen - does nothing
 Home folder - does nothing
 Search - does nothing
 Email - does nothing
 Launch web browser - does nothing
 Show the panel run application dialog - works
 Show the panel menu - works, but not always
 Take a screenshot - works
 Take a screenshot of a window - works
 Run a terminal - works

Sound
 Volume mute - does nothing
 Volume down - does nothing
 Volume up - does nothing
 Play (or play/pause) does nothing
 Pause - does nothing
 Stop playback key - does nothing
 Skip to previous track - does nothing
 Skip to next track - does nothing
 Eject - does nothing

I didn't bother going through all the rest.  I'm mostly interested in
getting the volume, play, track skipping ones to work, and the screen
locking one would be handy.  But how do you go about this?

In the past I have got XMMS to work with the audio buttons on an FC4
box, but I don't recall having to do anything more than see that keys
had certain X names applied (such as, out of the various play/pause
names that could be picked from, only specific ones worked).

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-33.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.