Re: Gnome keyboard shortcuts in FC7

Tim:
>> Sound
>>  Volume mute - does nothing
>>  Volume down - does nothing
>>  Volume up - does nothing
>>  and so on...

Rogue:
> I have got the first three working on my D810 and all of them working on
> my mom's Inspiron.
>
> I am not sure about the other keys, but I am guessing that they work too.
>
> What issues are you facing?

It doesn't work...  ;-)  (Sorry, couldn't resist)

But being serious, I bought a new keyboard from the evil empire that has
a few multimedia buttons on it (Microsoft Comfort Curve Keyboard 2000
v1.0, USB), so I thought I'd have a bash at making use of some of them.
Volume controls, at the least, would have been handy, as my speakers
have none.

If you (or anyone else) uses Gnome on FC7, and has these shortcut keys
working, can you have a look in the keyboard shortcuts preferences, and
tell me whether yours has different shortcut names for the keys
associated with the actions.  I'll just list a few.

Action                  Shortcut
Volume mute             XF86AudioMute
Volume down             XF86AudioLowerVolume
Volume up               XF86AudioLowerVolume
Play (or play/pause)    XF86AudioPlay
Skip to previous track  XF86Back
Skip to next track      XF86Forward

In the past (FC 3 or 4) I had to play with some keyboard mapping files,
creating a custom map for my other keyboard, and set specific names for
some keys. There were a few similarly named keys, but applications only
paid attention to some of them.

Yes, I've logged in and out, rebooted a few times, swore at it, etc.
These keys are noticed being pressed by something, as I was able to
configure the shortcuts by pressing those keys, and those names appeared
in the configuration window.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-33.fc7 i686 i386