Re: Prevent /u from showing up on users desktops in F7

Tim:
>> What's "/u"?  How do you mount it?

Darryl:
> /u is data on an ext3 filesystem - nothing special. It is mounted on
> boot via /etc/fstab entry:
> $ grep /u /etc/fstab
> /dev/sdb1       /u      ext3    noatime,nodiratime      1       2
>
> /var is a separate filesystem too and it doesn't show up on the desktop
> so I'm hoping there is a table of excludes somewhere that I can add /u to.

I'm guessing the /u is a USB-connected external drive?  If so, you might
need to play with HAL rules regarding removeable media.  It's a very
long time since I've customised such rules, and I don't have any custom
ones stored on a current machine, and the methodology has changed since
I did it, so you'd be better googling for some help on that.

Once mounted, just type mount into the console, and see what parameters
each device has been mounted with.  Your external drives will probably
have some extra parameters, see if you can find out more about them.

A couple of my internal hard drive mounts:
/dev/sdb6 on / type ext3 (rw)
/dev/sdb2 on /home type ext3 (rw)

A USB flash drive mount:
/dev/sdc on /media/BLUELEGEND type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=500)

Of particular note is probably the uhelper parameter.

> /dev/sda is another filesystem that I don't want on the desktop,

If you have several you don't want showing, you might find it easiest to
just turn off using Nautilus to draw the desktop.  It'll be blank, then,
regardless.

>> Here, all that shows up on the desktop are three icons for opening "my
>> computer" (opens a browser starting at /), the user's home (opens
>> starting in ~/), a trashcan (~/.Trash/).
>>
>> The desktop displays what's held in ~/Desktop/ (if it's empty, and it is
>> by default, nothing else shows).
>>
>> And, if and when I plug in a USB flash drive, or insert a disc into the
>> CD drive, an icon pops up on the desktop.

> I don't want that either and have this command from a previous question
> pertaining to FC6:
> gconftool-2 --set --type=boolean /apps/nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible false
> Hopefully this is "global" for all users.

Easy enough to test, create another user and have a look.  But gconf
editing edits the current user's settings, in my experience; and doing
it as root just affects the root's settings.

> This machine is going to be handling 10-12 users on diskless
> workstations via LTSP so all the auto icon stuff isn't desired. I would
> have liked to use CentOS or RHEL but neither support the on board NIC
> and the standalone atl1 driver wasn't behaving on CentOS.

Are you on the CentOS lists, as well?  If you really want to use it, I'd
suggest trying to resolve it, there.  Rather than use Fedora when you
preferred something else.  It's possible someone might help you work out
how to take what's supported in Fedora and do the same on CentOS.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-33.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.