Re: Prevent /u from showing up on users desktops in F7

Tim wrote:

I'm guessing the /u is a USB-connected external drive?  If so, you might
need to play with HAL rules regarding removeable media.  It's a very
long time since I've customised such rules, and I don't have any custom
ones stored on a current machine, and the methodology has changed since
I did it, so you'd be better googling for some help on that.

Nope :-) /u is a RAID5 (all of /dev/sdb) on an Adaptec 2120S controller and really has no business being shown on the desktop. Another filesytem on /dev/sda2 (sda is a RAID-1 array also on the 2120S) appears on the desktop too which I don't want either. However, /var on /dev/sda3 & /home on /dev/sda7 are separate filesystems and neither show up on the desktop (which is good) so there has to be a file/table/logic choice that the desktop is accessing to decide which filesystems are to appear on the desktop.

If you have several you don't want showing, you might find it easiest to
just turn off using Nautilus to draw the desktop.  It'll be blank, then,
regardless.

Ok. Blank other than what icons the user or I decide to put on it or just blank and no hope of a clickable icon? Is this a global setting or user by user?

I don't want that either and have this command from a previous question pertaining to FC6:
gconftool-2 --set --type=boolean /apps/nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible false
Hopefully this is "global" for all users.

Easy enough to test, create another user and have a look.  But gconf
editing edits the current user's settings, in my experience; and doing
it as root just affects the root's settings.

Ok, I'll just rip through each of users and run that command manually for all the time it takes. Any idea where the default settings are kept so I can permanently change them?

Are you on the CentOS lists, as well?  If you really want to use it, I'd
suggest trying to resolve it, there.  Rather than use Fedora when you
preferred something else.  It's possible someone might help you work out
how to take what's supported in Fedora and do the same on CentOS.

Not on the CentOS list. Had CentOS 5 worked on the hardware we probably would have gone with a RHEL5 subscription but F7 worked (more or less) out of the box with the latest PAE kernel now making use of all 4GB of memory so it gets the nod. At this point we're pretty much ready to start using the machine desktop quirks and all. We've been happily using FC3 for years and it has been solid but the versions of mysql, php et al are becoming an issue and the 3ware RAID controller + SATA disks bog on I/O so it is time for something a little more up to date & capable. Also, love the ballooning theme ;-)