Re: cannot install fc7, fc6, or fc5 on new machine

On Sun, 29 Jul 2007, Vicki and Dave Stevenson wrote:

Just wanted to report that fc7 64-bit is up and running now. I replaced the ASUS M2A-VM HDMI motherboard (with ATI SB600 south bridge) with an ASUS M2NPV-VM (NVIDIA nForce 430 south bridge), and the problem is gone. The two motherboards are very similar in features and price, just different chipsets.

Thanks again to everyone for your help.

Dave

I also have the ASUS M2NPV-VM, only because it is the smallest motherboard that can support 8GB of RAM..... but not because the SATA (MCP51) is well supported. And in fact, I am writing this becase only moments ago I got the NCQ for the SATA working. This is my VMWare development box with no less then 20 virtual machines in various states of snapshot/suspension/ or just off. I have never been able to run more the 6 at the same time, which is frustrating since some of my demos require 8 to be running.

So here is the stats of my system, it may help you with your work:

ASUS M2NPV-VM
ST3250820AS (NCQ)
MAXTOR STM3320620AS (NCQ)
8GB RAM
Fedora Core 6
Kernel: 2.6.22.1
Patches from here, in this order:
http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.22-rc6/2.6.22-rc6-mm1/broken-out/
  ata-add-the-sw-ncq-support-to-sata_nv-for-mcp51-mcp55-mcp61.patch
  ata-add-the-sw-ncq-support-to-sata_nv-for-mcp51-mcp55-mcp61-fix.patch

I then had to edit the initial ramdisk to add swncq=1 to the line that
loads the sata_nv module. (look in the cpio command to open and re-create
the initial ramdisk)

Ok, what else.... The kernel modules for the NVIDIA video driver
(100.14.11) works great out of the box.

For VMware, use the update at:
http://knihovny.cvut.cz/ftp/pub/vmware/vmware-any-any-update113.tar.gz
I had v112 and it worked well, so I guess that v113 would do the same for you.

ed