Re: How to get Festival text to speech working?

Rudolf Kastl:
>>> personally i found that http://espeak.sourceforge.net/ is already
>>> much more versatile.

Tim:
>> Hmm, neither this, nor Festival, sound as good as the speak device on
>> the Amiga (from the mid 1980s).  That's a bit surprising, I'd have
>> thought that it'd be vastly outperformed, by now.

Ed Greshko:
> Is this observation from memory or do you have an Amiga running today and
> are making an actual comparison?  Just wondering.

The Amiga's speech sounds quite like Steven Hawking's speech synth, not
to mention a few other speech synths used by the disabled.  That'll give
a few more people an idea what it sounds like, seeing as it pops up in
movies and television.  I couldn't easily drag mine out and sample it,
for quite some time, it's buried amongst the rest of my clutter.

While it doesn't sound very polished, it is quite understandable, and
handled most words and sentences fairly appropriately (changing pitch,
and pausing, where it should, etc.).  There were some words that it
spoke badly, but that's not unique to speech synthesiers, and it did
have a way of you giving it a library of words to be pronounced
according to your own rules (applied to the synth, systematically,
rather than needing to customise whatever program you were playing
with).  The English language is full of words that break the rules, so
I'm not surprised at this, and often wondered with speech synthesising
in other languages is more effective.

I found the Festival one to sound rather clean (not grungy) but rather
monotonic and very difficult to comprehend.  I'm reminded, somewhat, of
some rather old children's cartoon that had this bird which wore half an
eggshell like a hat, that spoke every word on the same high pitched
monotone.  It's voice could set your teeth on edge.

I listened to the provided ogg file on the eSpeak website, I found it
very nasily, over modulated for each word, making me think of bubbling
something up from underwater, and very little correct modulation of
words throughout a sentence.  Rather like listening to someone read out
loud who was very poor at it, speaking all the words at the same rate,
no pauses in the appropriate places, and no raising of pitch at the
right moments (questions), etc.

I have heard better ones than any of them, one being something on
Windows 98 SE that made use of those Microsoft Agents (Peedy the parrot,
etc.).  I could use it to speak the text from IRC, and follow the
conversation quite easily, even when I ramped up the speed a bit above
normal speech.

I do have fairly fond memories of playing with the Amiga's speech
synthesier, it was quite easy to supply it various parameters and change
how it spoke from word to word.  So I did the obvious, made up a little
program that made it sing a song.  'twas done using just BASIC, but
still amusing.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-33.fc7 i686 i386