Re: How to get Festival text to speech working?

On Wednesday 18 July 2007 03:20, Joe Desbonnet wrote:
> I'm trying to evaluate Festival text-to-speech on Fedora 7, but I get
> this error:
>
> festival --tts < test.txt
> Linux: can't open /dev/dsp
>
> Seems many people have this problem, but I can't see any fixes. As always
> System -> Help is useless.
>
> Obviously if it was shipped it must work somehow. Any suggestions?
>
> Joe.

Well I tried it again today on Fedora 7, and actually got some speech out of
it. The last time I tried it must have been about 3 years ago on FC1, or FC2,
and couldn't get it to work, but I was very new to computers, and Linux.  The
speech isn't quite up to Star Trek standards, but your ears get tuned in
after a while.

That's with an Audigy2 soundblaster card on the machine, and the alsa-oss
package installed. I just started it on the CLI, and followed the
instructions in the manual to get it saying something.

It was interesting to say the least, using tts to read out my ~/.xawtv file.
Lots of "left square bracket", "equals", "right square bracket", and so on.

At least when you've got something working, there is some incentive to learn
more about it.

Nigel.