Re: Killed /home installing Fedora 7 with Ubuntu

On 30/07/07, John Pierce <john.j35@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > That was a scary lesson that I learned tonight. I'm burning a backup
> > now, and I'll be learning rsync tonight...
> >
> This is an rsync command that my wife and I both use on our laptops
> everytime we get home to our local network.
>
> /usr/bin/rsync -e ssh -avzp --exclude "/home/eagle1/.ssh" --delete
> /home/eagle1 / /ns2.local.net:/prtdata/
>
> This command will be all on one line and it will delete files that do
> not exist on the local machine, that is if I delete a file from my
> local machine and then do the backup is will be deleted from the
> backup server.

Thanks. As I'm setting out to learn rsync, this will help.

> I do this as a backup of my live file system, every other night I run
> mondo rescue and alternate through about a two week span on the old
> father, grandfather, great grandfather routine of backing up.
>
> Also, the command above was setup to work on a password less ssh
> login, but if you have not set that up it will merely ask for the
> users password on the server.

Actually, I do have that set up.

> I am glad that the partition was just not mounted, but for future
> reference, everything I have read about the ext3 files system states
> that once deleted you cannot recover a file.

Yes, I've read that as well, for the most part. Some files, such as
jpegs, do have well-defined  headers and footers that _can_ be
recovered, but not most other files. I was not sure that fsck had
actually deleted the data. I though maybe it was 'hidden' in some way.
I have to learn to get out of the M$ mentallity...

Dotan Cohen

http://lyricslist.com/
http://what-is-what.com/