[F7] Nouveau driver crashing X

Hi everyone!

While giving up on closed nvidia drivers for the time being (I'll give it
another shot in a month or two, when I get more free time), I just tried the
open-source alternative for 3D on my old nVidia GeForce 4, namely nouveau.

This driver also crashes X (though not so severely, for it brings me back into
the prompt after the crash), so I need some advice. I read the Xorg.0.log,
and while it does not give me any hint as to why the crash occurred, I see
that it looks for the file /usr/lib/dri/nouveau_dri.so, and fails to find it
(because the file isn't there, as I checked). But it passes over that error
and continues, crashing somewhat later for no apparent reason in the log. So,
three questions:

1) Why is the file nouveau_dri.so missing?
2) Why does X crash?
3) What can I do about it?

The log file and xorg.conf are attached. I should also mention that the basic
nv driver Just Works, of course without 3D.

Any help?

Best, :-)
Marko

Marko Vojinovic