alsamixer wont come up properly, cant adjust volumes

Hello

In order to use my headphones, I have to turn up the center volume on alsa mixer. I've done this in the past, but in the last two installs alsa mixer wont load properly ie, the program will open but there are no volume controls. Has anyone had this problem before?

thanks,
Andrew

Windows Live Hotmail. Even hotter than before. Get a better look now. www.newhotmail.ca?icid=WLHMENCA148