Re: cpu speed problem

On Sun, 2007-07-29 at 23:37 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-07-29 at 08:25 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> > I have a terrible urge to send replies to your private address even if
> > they are rejected.
>
> You can go right ahead, but yahoo deletes mail sent to it without some
> magic words in the subject line.  ;-)  I know nothing abouneed not argue about it.t the mail it
> deletes.  I get zero spam from the list, that way.
Spamassassin removes spam very effectively. In my fedora-list folder I
have never seen a spam message.Your solution to my mind is overkill and
somewhat impolite. I feel the same way about people with unlisted phone
numbers but that is a whole other story.That is my hang up and I will
stick with it. We need not argue about it.

> > So what are you suggesting. That when I run the laptop on power I
> > remove the battery.
>
> I don't know for that particular model, but for some laptops you'll get
> that advice.
Not on my laptop.

> > I would not buy a laptop that could not be run on wall power even if
> > the battery is installed.
>
> Me either, if I were going to buy one, and could make that sort of
> decision about which one I'd buy.
>
> > I always thought Toshiba made high class laptops. If I found my
> > Toshiba laptop needed to have the battery removed when I ran it on
> > wall power I would sell it the next day.
>
> You may not have to, I don't know the reputation for their laptops.  But
> there have been people who've found their hardly used battery to be an
> utter lemon by the time they got around to wanting to use the laptop on
> battery power.
I have used it on both wall power and with the battery alone and have
not found that problem.

> Yes, I agree with you and say that sort of thing's crap design.  I also
> think it's crap how so many battery powered devices don't handle a
> flattening battery properly. e.g. Not shutting down before the battery
> goes too flat, and the device behaving badly in its last moments.
>
> > Would you buy a cell phone that did not stop charging when the battery
> > was fully charged. I would not.
>
> Slightly different situation:  Most mobile phones are unplugged for a
> great portion of their time, and used powered from their battery.
>
> > We are in the 21th century and we know how to construct a device with
> > a battery that works correctly.
>
> You'd think so, but then there's plenty of examples of bad design out
> there, even ones with billions of dollars behind the companies and their
> products.  I don't think we need to name names, we know who they are.

Q: How many Harvard MBA's does it take to screw in a lightbulb? A: Just
one. He grasps it firmly and the universe revolves around him.