Re: cpu speed problem

On Sun, 2007-07-29 at 19:03 +0930, Tim wrote:
> Tim:
> >> It's generally a good idea to make use of rechargable batteries - run
> >> the device they're meant for, using the batteries, from time to time.
> >> Quite apart from the technical reasons, of keeping the batteries
> >> alive, there's not much point owning them (and paying for them) if you
> >> don't make use of them.
>
> Aaron Konstam:
> > Au contraire , there is lots o reasons. One is when I am running the
> > machine at home for 3 hours with a battery that runs it for 2 hrs and 14
> > minutes. On DELL D810 it is designed to run that way so why not?
>
> I'm not quite sure what you're disagreeing with.
>
> One of my points was that I don't see much sense in paying for a battery
> if you're not going to use it as a battery, they're not cheap.  That
> doesn't mean you have to use it all the time, but using some times would
> do it good.
>
> Batteries generally last the best when made use of.  Ones that sit there
> unused, or always being charged, usually suffer.  Ones that sit in
> equipment are often slightly discharging through the equipment, and
> being trickled charged, constantly.  Consider yourself lucky if yours is
> fine in those conditions.
>
> Chargers are *sometimes* are fine to leave connected, as *some* are
> designed *not* to keep on charging a battery needlessly.  Others are not
> so intelligently designed.  (Whether that be the box you plug into the
> wall, or circuitry in the laptop between battery and the power brick.)
>
> Some laptops are not really good to run continuously, they may have not
> so brilliant cooling.  They may use a laptop drive that's been designed
> to last being turned on and off a lot, but not so much for continuous
> running.  The opposite of most desktop drives.
>
> There's a multitude  f factors, and it's hard to say what's best for
> some, it's even harder to attempt to say what's best for all.

I have  a terrible urge to send replies to your private address even if
they are rejected.

So what are you suggesting. That when I run the laptop on power I remove
the battery. Well here is my didactic statement for the day. I would not
buy a laptop that could not be run on wall power even if the battery is
installed. I always thought Toshiba made high class laptops. If I found
my Toshiba laptop needed to have the battery removed when I ran it on
wall power I would sell it the next day. Would you buy a cell phone that
did not stop charging when the battery was fully charged. I would not.
We are in the 21th century and we know how to construct a device with a
battery that works correctly.
Slow day. Practice crawling.