Re: cpu speed problem

On Sun, 2007-07-29 at 08:25 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> I have a terrible urge to send replies to your private address even if
> they are rejected.

You can go right ahead, but yahoo deletes mail sent to it without some
magic words in the subject line.  ;-)  I know nothing about the mail it
deletes.  I get zero spam from the list, that way.

> So what are you suggesting. That when I run the laptop on power I
> remove the battery.

I don't know for that particular model, but for some laptops you'll get
that advice.

> I would not buy a laptop that could not be run on wall power even if
> the battery is installed.

Me either, if I were going to buy one, and could make that sort of
decision about which one I'd buy.

> I always thought Toshiba made high class laptops. If I found my
> Toshiba laptop needed to have the battery removed when I ran it on
> wall power I would sell it the next day.

You may not have to, I don't know the reputation for their laptops.  But
there have been people who've found their hardly used battery to be an
utter lemon by the time they got around to wanting to use the laptop on
battery power.

Yes, I agree with you and say that sort of thing's crap design.  I also
think it's crap how so many battery powered devices don't handle a
flattening battery properly. e.g. Not shutting down before the battery
goes too flat, and the device behaving badly in its last moments.

> Would you buy a cell phone that did not stop charging when the battery
> was fully charged. I would not.

Slightly different situation:  Most mobile phones are unplugged for a
great portion of their time, and used powered from their battery.

> We are in the 21th century and we know how to construct a device with
> a battery that works correctly.

You'd think so, but then there's plenty of examples of bad design out
there, even ones with billions of dollars behind the companies and their
products.  I don't think we need to name names, we know who they are.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.22.1-33.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.