Re: JibJab - no sound - wrong sound card.

On Sunday 29 July 2007 08:43, clemens@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:18:54 -0600
> >
> > Reg Clemens <reg@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > OK, this was working but it has stopped.
> > >
> > > For a long time videos on CNN had never worked.
> > > Then, several weeks ago they started working.
> > > And then several weeks more and the AUDIO stopped but the video was
> > > fine.
> > >
> > > For some reason, today I decided to go to jibjab, and lo, the same
> > > behaviour. I see the video, but no audio.  Now this has ALWAYS worked.
> > >
> > > And my suspision is that I have a built in sound card (intel) on the
> > > motherboard,
> > > and add on sound card (sound blaster) and the jibjab (and probably
> > > the CNN) are connecting to the WRONG ONE (the intel).
> > >
> > > Changing the connection to the other output, and lo I have audio.
> > >
> > > So how do I tell the world which is the default sound card?
> > > Or how do I tell individual programs what is the default sound card?
> > > I dont see anything in jibjab nor in the netscape that it is running
> > > in Mumph.
> > > Grump.
> >
> > You need to add something like the following to your /etc/modprobe.conf
> > file.
> >
> > alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
> > options snd-card-0 index=0
> > options snd-emu10k1 index=0
> > alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
> > options snd-usb-audio index=1
> >
> > This is telling the kernel to place the sound cards in specific order.
> > You will have to change the sound cards above to reflect yours.  The 0
> > card is the default.
>
> OK, I canwill add what you suggest:
>
> alias snd-card-0 snd-ca0106
> options snd-card-0 index=0
> options snd-ca0106 index=0
>
> alias snd-card-1 snd-hda-intel
> options snd-card-1 index=1
> options snd-hda-intel index=1
alias snd-card-2 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=2

> here is what is already there, should I modify it in any way
> (or delete parts of it?)
>
> options snd cards_limit=8
> alias snd-card-0 None
> options None index=0
> alias snd-card-1 None
> options None index=1
> alias snd-card-7 snd-usb-audio
> options snd-usb-audio index=7
>
> and where is this explained?

Interesting question.

> --
>                                         Reg.Clemens
>                                         reg@xxxxxxx

Hi Reg. Apart from the card limit, and snd-usb-audio lines the rest is doing
zilch, and must say I've never seen an alias for a sound card before, that
says "NONE". I think I'd remove it all, and just add a couple of lines for
snd-usb-audio as above.

I've never used a card limits line, and don't believe it's necessary.

Run depmod -a as root after setting up /etc/modprobe.conf, then reboot, and
see if you have sound again.

Do a,  cat /proc/asound/cards  , which should show your cards in the correct
order.

Open Alsamixer as user on the CLI, which will show the default card. If you
want to see the mixer settings for the intel card, start Alsamixer as,
alsamixer -c 1

All the best.

Nigel.