eSATA question

I see lots of new PC's with eSATA connectors but I can't seem to find much detail on it.. I know its an external SATA port and so has the speed of SATA but what I can't seem to find out, and maybe someone can help me here, is whether or not its hot plug like USB..

I am looking for an easy way to backup quite a lot of data regularly to an external hard drive.. If eSATA is hot pluggable then its will be great to have the speed to do the backups quickly.. If its not then I guess I am stuck with USB..