Re: JibJab - no sound - wrong sound card.

On Sat, 28 Jul 2007 16:18:54 -0600
Reg Clemens <reg@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> OK, this was working but it has stopped.
>
> For a long time videos on CNN had never worked.
> Then, several weeks ago they started working.
> And then several weeks more and the AUDIO stopped but the video was
> fine.
>
> For some reason, today I decided to go to jibjab, and lo, the same
> behaviour. I see the video, but no audio.  Now this has ALWAYS worked.
>
> And my suspision is that I have a built in sound card (intel) on the
> motherboard,
> and add on sound card (sound blaster) and the jibjab (and probably
> the CNN) are connecting to the WRONG ONE (the intel).
>
> Changing the connection to the other output, and lo I have audio.
>
> So how do I tell the world which is the default sound card?
> Or how do I tell individual programs what is the default sound card?
> I dont see anything in jibjab nor in the netscape that it is running
> in Mumph.
> Grump.
You need to add something like the following to your /etc/modprobe.conf
file.

alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
options snd-card-0 index=0
options snd-emu10k1 index=0
alias snd-card-1 snd-usb-audio
options snd-usb-audio index=1

This is telling the kernel to place the sound cards in specific order.
You will have to change the sound cards above to reflect yours.  The 0
card is the default.