Re: Kernel panic after updating to 2.6.22.1-27.fc7 kernel

Jim Cornette wrote:
> Antti J. Huhtala wrote:
>
> > Thanks again, Jim
> >
> > It just dawned on me that against all good advice on this list and
> > elsewhere I decided to *upgrade* from FC6 to Fedora 7 instead of a fresh
> > install. That's why I had some minor issues two months ago, such as my
> > printer wasn't working and K3b didn't work either. Both problems were
> > resolved by removing and reinstalling.
>
> The k3b breakage happened to me with several upgrades. (All that I
> recall). I have not tried printing on most of the upgraded systems but
> for one system it seems to have no troubles that were not present before
> the upgrade.

OK, Jim. IIRC, a couple of other posters also mentioned broken K3b after
updating/upgrading to Fedora 7 but I don't seem to recall earlier
reports. Of course, if you know how to easily fix a malfunctioning
program, you may consider it not worth reporting.

> > If I'm not mistaken, there are some packages renamed '.rpmnew' in my
> > system right now as a result of the upgrade. Guess I'll have to look
> > into them and see if there's something explaining why the new kernel
> > panics at boot. I also might consider a fresh install...
>
> A lot of times with these files there is no difference except for dates
> created. It still is worth comparing the files with the in place versions.

Yes, that's true. I checked and found ca. 270 files with '.rpmnew' added
to the filename. Many of them seem to be identical with the 'in use'
version except for the dates. In addition, a lot of them look like
langpack or font files with little or no effect on kernel panic at boot.

However, a couple of weeks after upgrading to Fedora 7 I had to replace
a file with its .rpmnew counterpart: /etc/udev/rules.d/50-udev.rules.
With the old version of '50-udev.rules' I had several warnings while
booting: "link <device> is deprecated and will possibly be removed from
a future kernel. Please fix this...". These warnings disappeared when I
switched from the old version to the new one by swapping (renaming)
them.
> I don't know if a fresh installation would land you at the same state or
> if the system would work with the latest kernel. A fresh install would
> allow you to change some preferences like lvm or partitions along with
> the new features which were introduced in Fedora 7 compared to earlier
> Fedora snapshots. Upgrades should offer the new features via the
> installer but currently do not offer a chance to add them on upgrade.

Right. I've been thinking about abandoning lvm because I'm going to put
another hard disk device into the box. It now only has an 80 GB disk,
divided 50/30 between WinXP and Fedora. Because 99.8 % of my computing
is using Fedora, and there's only ca. 8 GB free, I need another HD.
I'd like to see the new features also. I don't even know what I'm
missing at the moment...
> Jim

Thanks, Jim. Looks like it will take a while to sort out all .rpmnew
files and to try to evaluate their possible contribution to my kernel
panic problem.

> > I'll report later what I found out.

Antti