Re: Kernel panic after updating to 2.6.22.1-27.fc7 kernel

Antti J. Huhtala wrote:

> It just dawned on me that against all good advice on this list and
> elsewhere I decided to *upgrade* from FC6 to Fedora 7 instead of a fresh
> install. That's why I had some minor issues two months ago, such as my
> printer wasn't working and K3b didn't work either. Both problems were
> resolved by removing and reinstalling.
> If I'm not mistaken, there are some packages renamed '.rpmnew' in my
> system right now as a result of the upgrade. Guess I'll have to look
> into them and see if there's something explaining why the new kernel
> panics at boot. I also might consider a fresh install...
>
> I'll report later what I found out.
>
> Antti

The .rpmnew files are the stock configuration files for the updated
RPM. They are generated when the existing configuration file is
different then the stock configuration file for the old RPM, and the
format of the configuration file has not changed between versions.
(there may be new options, but the new version can understand the
old format.) If the new version is not expected to work properly
with the old config file, then the old configuration file is renamed
.rpmsave and the configuration file from the new RPM is used. In
ether case, you have the old configuration so that you can migrate
your changes to the new configuration file.

It is usually a good idea to compare the files and see the changes.
sometimes the defaults change, and sometimes there are handy new
features.

Mikkel