Re: Kernel panic after updating to 2.6.22.1-27.fc7 kernel

On Wed, 25 Jul 2007 08:58:26 -0500, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

> Antti J. Huhtala wrote:
> >
> > It just dawned on me that against all good advice on this list and
> > elsewhere I decided to *upgrade* from FC6 to Fedora 7 instead of a fresh
> > install. That's why I had some minor issues two months ago, such as my
> > printer wasn't working and K3b didn't work either. Both problems were
> > resolved by removing and reinstalling.
> > If I'm not mistaken, there are some packages renamed '.rpmnew' in my
> > system right now as a result of the upgrade. Guess I'll have to look
> > into them and see if there's something explaining why the new kernel
> > panics at boot. I also might consider a fresh install...
> >
> The .rpmnew files are the stock configuration files for the updated
> RPM. They are generated when the existing configuration file is
> different then the stock configuration file for the old RPM, and the
> format of the configuration file has not changed between versions.
> (there may be new options, but the new version can understand the
> old format.) If the new version is not expected to work properly
> with the old config file, then the old configuration file is renamed
> .rpmsave and the configuration file from the new RPM is used. In
> ether case, you have the old configuration so that you can migrate
> your changes to the new configuration file.

Thank you for making this clear, Mikkel. Yes, there are some .rpmsave
files in my system, too, but I haven't been bothered with their
intricacies because my box has been *just working* before the present
'new kernel panic'. The only time I had to pay attention to .rpmnew
files is explained in my other post to Jim Cornette today.
> It is usually a good idea to compare the files and see the changes.
> sometimes the defaults change, and sometimes there are handy new
> features.
>
> Mikkel

All right, I'll do that. Because there are 270 .rpmnew files and I don't
know how many .rpmsave files, I have no idea how long it will take to
check them all. There are other duties to attend to, as well. Thanks for
the explanation, anyway. I hope to be able to report progress ASAP.

Antti