Re: Kernel install error and what use is bugzilla?

On Sat, Jul 21, 2007 at 11:47:03AM +0100, Andy Green wrote:

> > And that's nailled it!  I put the /boot in from of the filenames and it works.  grubby seems
> > to expect there to be a /boot partition and for the files to be relative to that.
> >
> > Now I have to try to get my /boot partition working again.
>
> I think this is what defines what is mounted as /boot
>
>         root (hd2,0)
>
> Is it possible you no longer have what grub considered to be hd2?  What does
>
> mount
>
> say about /boot if anything right now?

OK - about 6 hours, a destroyed (and miraculously recovered) volume group, 27
reboots, 6 BIOS changes, and the sacrifice of three chickens and a bottle of
good whiskey later, it's all back to the working condition it was in before
anaconda started mucking with my disk drives - I don't think the code which
converted the hd stuff to sd was written to cope with the multiple IDE and SATA
drives which are incestuously coupled by LVM on my system.

Andy, thanks for the help, you sent me down the right track there.

If you're ever in Johannesburg, I owe you a couple.

--
Cheers! (Relax...have a homebrew)

Neil

THEOREM: VI is perfect.
PROOF: VI in roman numerals is 6.  The natural numbers < 6 which divide 6 are
1, 2, and 3. 1+2+3 = 6.  So 6 is a perfect number.  Therefore, VI is perfect.
QED
                                                    -- Arthur Tateishi