Re: Problem with NON-Wireless network card

On Friday 20 July 2007 22:23, Karl Larsen wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:

> >>     Yes your ethernet card is the Broadcom Corporation BCM4401 and there
> >> is no reason that it should not be at your network tab that lists
> >> hardware. If it isn't there it is a broken hardware. If it is there
> >> click to have it selected and on the first tab make it active.
> >>
> >> Karl
> >
> > I shouldn't respond to this, but could you explain how Steven could have
> > broken hardware, when on at least 2 posts he's stated that reverting to
> > the previous kernel the ethernet card works ok. See below.
> >
> > <quote from above>
> > Under previous kernel, which
> >  I still have installed, it finds this card and configures eth0 to
> >  use it.
> > <end quote>
> >
> > Also, you said that if (and obviously it hasn't) the ethernet card has
> > bitten the dust, he should replace it. I'd be interested on your comments
> > on how to do this, as his machine is a notebook. Perhaps you're
> > suggesting he should bring out the soldering iron, and replace the
> > relevant chips.
> >
> > Nigel.
>
> I think you should agree to do this Nigel. It might also be his ethernet
> card is not supported by the new kernel. Then the least you can do is
> write and install the proper module.
>
> Karl

I'm sorry, but I've totally lost the plot here. I can't make any sense of
Karl's reply.

It's like I'm trying to communicate with HAL (thats the computer in 2001 A
space odyssey, for the younger folks reading the list), and getting really
weird replies from HAL when I speak to it.

I think I will post this, and shut down this machine for the night. Helix is
still downloading on the other machine, and only 266MB to go (on dialup).
I'll calmly walk upstairs from the cellar, and get something to eat. Yes I
know it's late 00:43 EST, but that's the way life is. I'll share a yogourt
with my dog, then pass out.

Tomorrows a new day, and another bunch of fun reading the emails from the
mailing lists, replying, and on the odd occasion helping someone to resolve a
problem, which is nice.

Nigel.