Re: Claws to Mutt

Chris wrote:
> Forgive my ignorance on this - Since I use Claws, here is
> something how my current Mail dir looks like (Claws uses MH, in
> #HOME/Mail)
>
> $HOME
> 	Mail
> 		inbox
> 			Fedora
> 			Fedora-DS
> 			CentOS
> 			Ubuntu
> 			Etc, etc, etc
>
> I can certainly pull mail from my ISP without issues, I'm unsure how
> to now seperate them into the above while preserving the many emails
> that currently live in the above dirs.
>
> Again - pardon my ignorance on this - I hope I gave you a clear
> image.

I think that a tool like procmail or maildrop are what you want to
look into.  I use fetchmail to grab mail from a POP account and
procmail to filter it into various folders.  I'm using maildir as the
mailbox format, but AFAIK, procmail will work with MH in much the same
way.

Hit google for many tutorials on procmail.  One thing that's very nice
is being able to use regular expressions in the filtering process.  So
you could have one rule that would filter all of the list that use the
List-Id header with something like this (which may well look
unintelligeble without having read the procmail manpages :):

# filter list mail
:0
{
    LISTID=$MATCH

    :0
    * LISTID ?? ^.*[<]\/[^@>\.]*
    lists/$MATCH/

    :0
    * LISTID ?? ^ *\/[^@\.]*
    lists/$MATCH/
}

With a rule like that, this list ends up in lists/fedora-list.  The
nice part is that when you subscribe to new lists you don't have to
add yet another rule that is almost identical to many others.  Of
course, if you have problmatic lists or  lists you want to save in
places other than where this recipe would put them, you can just add
those rules before this one.

The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom
they oppress.
    -- Frederick Douglass