Re: 64 bit F7

Mike Chambers wrote:
On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 13:17 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:
I have just learned a week or two ago that you can get a 64 bit kernel and load a 64 bit Fedora 7. I recall seeing the .iso and wondered what it was. Now I know it exists and causes no end of trouble! All the fixes and new applications come out 32 bit. They are all RPM files with i386 in the name.

My question is why would anyone want to have an odd ball F7 with 64bit logic? It makes no sense to me.

Cause your looking into the i386 dir, and not the x86_64 dir, which is
where the rpms are for 64bit systems.  Here is part of the dir path to
64bit from the main fedora download site..

/pub/fedora/linux/releases/7/Everything/x86_64/os/Fedora

Above by using ftp to get to it.

So not sure what your asking or I am looking at the question from a
different angle?

I think you answered my question. I am able to yum things for my 32 bit Linux and all the updates they send out are for 32 bit machines. If I were to go 64 bit I need to FTP the RPM files and and install them myself.

   I will stay with 32 bit until it is no longer the most popular.

Karl