Re: 2.6.22 kernel and WiFi

Karl Larsen wrote:

>    I show my ignorance here but I sure thought you treat the ndiswrapper
> file as a module for the kernel and you have to install it into a new
> kernel. I know Fedora sends RPM packed kernel modifications and I have
> no idea how those work!
>
>    In my kernel work days we had to compile the kernel AND the modules.
> I think you still have to but it is done at Red Hat and they send all
> the stuff as binary files in the RPM. To you it means the ndiswrapper
> was compiled into a kernel. If you change to another kernel you will
> need to do it again.
>
> Karl

Karl, I probably should explain a little more about my setup.  I
inquired about the .22 kernel and the wireless stack changes because my
laptop uses ndiswrapper for the broadcom driver (64-bit).  I neglected
to mention that I'm not using Fedora on this laptop as i felt like this
wasn't necessary to mention.  I wanted some insight into the new stack
in the kernel, which (in my mind) seemed distro agnostic.  That said,
everything you say is correct, any time I move to a new kernel I have to
rebuild ndiswrapper for that kernel.  What I was afraid of, was that
ndiswrapper would have issues with the new stack (for whatever reason).

I can find out on my own by building the .22 kernel, but I like having
an idea of what I"m up against before I do that.

--
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support