Re: 2.6.22 kernel and WiFi

Mark Haney wrote:
Sam Varshavchik wrote:
Mark Haney writes:

Here's my question, how will the .22 kernel work with an old driver
setup?  Will I still be able to use my broadcom/ndiswrapper combo until
the new driver is available, or should I just avoid the .22 kernel until
the driver support is better?
Unfortuntely, no kernel developer gives a friggin hoot about
ndiswrapper. If it's broken, nobody will really care about it. Sorry.

I've read that Fedora and Ubuntu already are using the new driver models
(or something along those lines) so what's been the experience so far?
I've done my homework, and use hardware that's supported by native Linux
drivers (Centrino). Since there has not been a .22 kernel errata update
for F7, yet, I haven't yet installed it, but, I have no reasons to
expect any problems with wireless, when I do.

Such are the benefits of using Linux drivers with Linux, instead of
Windows drivers with Linux.

You know, replies like this really irritate me. Not only do they not
answer the question, you get a nice little 'lecture' on 'linux for
linux'.  Let me see if I can set things straight.  I had NO CHOICE in
laptops.  I got what I was given by the company.  I CHOSE to run linux
on it since I detest windows and refuse to buy tools when open source
options are better.  Therefore I was unable to do any 'homework'.

Therefore, your comments mean bupkiss to me and probably a lot of other
people.  They are not helpful and shouldn't waste my bandwidth having to
view them.

Hi Mark. I am writing a paper about getting WiFi to work on Linux. Are you certain there is no Linux software package for your laptop. Do you know who made the WiFi hardware in your laptop? Have you been to the web page with all the data?

Karl