Re: 2.6.22 kernel and WiFi

Karl Larsen wrote:
> Mark Haney wrote:
>> Karl Larsen wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Mark. I am writing a paper about getting WiFi to work on Linux. Are
>>> you certain there is no Linux software package for your laptop. Do you
>>> know who made the WiFi hardware in your laptop? Have you been to the web
>>> page with all the data?
>>>
>>> Karl
>>>

>> When I last looked (a year ago maybe) it was not supported.  It's a
>> broadcom card (4306), which, at the time, was supported 32-bit, but not
>> 64-bit, which is what I have.  That's why I asked about ndiswrapper,
>> it's the only method I was aware of at the time that would work with
>> this card and 64-bit.
>>

>> Ahh, I knew there had to be a catch :-)
> Your 64 bit system is just too much for the people at Broadcom. They
> have written software for Linux and it is being used on 32 bit machines
> with great success.
>
>    So you want to use a 64 bit wrapper of the windows .dll file as a way
> to get going. I will be interested in your results. I hope it works 8-)
>
> Karl

Which is what I do with no problems at all, using ndiswrapper and the
64-bit Windows NDIS driver.  It's worked great for 2 years now.
Howevre, with the rewrite to the wireless stack I was concerned that
upgrading to that kernel would either break ndiswrapper altogether or
would still be usable until a new driver was considered stable.

--
Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem!

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support