Re: Add Wireless to Laptop

Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 13:39:29 -0600, Karl Larsen wrote:

[...]

Well nm-tool is accurate. You have it all set up but it isn't working. Check /etc/modprobe.conf and remove anything you put in it. I think you put a wlan0 in there.

Karl

   [root@mbrc35 ~]# cat /etc/modprobe.conf
   alias eth0 e100
   alias scsi_hostadapter ata_piix
   alias snd-card-0 snd-hda-intel
   options snd-card-0 index=0
   options snd-hda-intel index=0
   alias wlan0 3c501

I did not add the last line, but I changed eth1 to wlan0.
In any case, I commented it out and rebooted. When I tried
to activate, I still got:

   Error for wireless request "Set Mode" (8B06) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Device or resource busy.
   Error for wireless request "Set Bit Rate" (8B20) :
    SET failed on device wlan0 ; Operation not supported.

   Determining IP information for wlan0... failed.

I am thinking of reinstalling FC7.  I may have messed up
something in fiddling around. In any case, I have to stop
working on this now.  I'll get back to it later this evening
or tomorrow.

Mike.

Well I'm sure the change you made to modeprobe.conf is why your laptop does not work. Just take out the whole last line and let NetworkManager put in what it needs.

Karl