Re: Add Wireless to Laptop

Mike - EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
On Fri, 13 Jul 2007 23:26:54 +0100, Ian Malone wrote:
[...]
Not at all sure.  However 'firmware' is a misleading term; I
think it's really microcode that the driver needs to load onto
the controller (which the WinXP driver will do).

Just found:
http://lists.infradead.org/pipermail/fedora-ppc/2006-March/000804.html
--
imalone

Thanks for this reference.  I did the recommended things, but
I still have a configuration error.  If I boot with the
wireless on, I get:

   Jul 13 21:50:16 mbrc35 NetworkManager: nm_device_is_802_3_ethernet:
      assertion `dev != NULL' failed
   Jul 13 21:50:16 mbrc35 NetworkManager: nm_device_is_802_11_wireless:
      assertion `dev != NULL' failed

Note that I had changed the device name from the incorrect eth1 to
wlan0.  This required some hand file editing, because the change
did not propagate to all gui places.  It appears I am missing a
device name somewhere.

Time to stop for the evening at -0400.

Mike.

Hi Mike, a couple of questions. I see your using NetworkManager. I assume you stopped network and also loaded both Network-- files.

When you use modprobe does the proper module get loaded into your kernel? On my laptop that works great NetworkManager calls both the ethernet port and WiFi ports eth0. It works so I don't care.

Karl