Re: Can Linux beat XP in homes yet or NOT?

On Fri July 13 2007, Les Mikesell wrote:
> That's odd - I can sometimes get that link and sometimes not myself.
> But anyway, Microsoft's ownership was temporary, probably only until the
> Linux talent had moved on.
> http://news.com.com/Microsoft+to+sell+stake+in+Corel/2100-1012_3-992014.htm
>l It didn't seem likely from the start that MS was really going to fund a
> competitor to MS office, especially on a competing OS.  Now its more like
> Corel who?

Well, according to that article, it was something less than ownership, a 24.6%
stake. That period seems to coincide with the several releases of WordPerfect
that were complete regressions - was it Ver 10 that took four service packs
of over 100 MB's each, and things were still broken? In any event,
PaintShopPro is now part of their line-up - it's the other Photoshop, that
just won't quit - been around forever - it's still in use by lots of people
in the graphics world - I prefer it to Photoshop for some things. As for
WordPerfect, I gave up updating, and still use Ver 9, which is fine for my
needs. I work for the company that made their first big bucks on a program,
CrossWords, that converted WordPerfect files to Word -- was big in the
enterprise world where huge databases of old legal docs had to switched. Then
they wrote a program to reveal the code in Word, like WordPerfect could do -
go figure. Now they are doing other customizations to Word. Meanwhile, I do
most of my work on Linux boxes and still use WordPerfect - go figure

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA