Re: Can Linux beat XP in homes yet or NOT?

Claude Jones wrote:

I remember they were bought out by Microsoft and their Linux
products unsurprisingly died immediately thereafter:
http://www.forbes.com/2000/10/03/1003corel.htm
It is slightly surprising that Canada permitted such a
blatantly anticompetitive action to happen, but Corel was
probably on its way to bankruptcy anyway.

Don't what that article said since the link is no longer good, but, I'd say it was inaccurate if it claims that MS bought out Corel. http://www.corel.com/ I still use WordPerfect and prefer it, in Windows land, to MS Word. They've certainly come out with several new versions since 2000.

That's odd - I can sometimes get that link and sometimes not myself. But anyway, Microsoft's ownership was temporary, probably only until the Linux talent had moved on.
http://news.com.com/Microsoft+to+sell+stake+in+Corel/2100-1012_3-992014.html
It didn't seem likely from the start that MS was really going to fund a competitor to MS office, especially on a competing OS. Now its more like Corel who?

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx