Re: a question about postifx

On Wed, 2007-07-11 at 08:07 -0500, Scott Berry wrote:
> Let's see if I have this right.  What I hear you saying here then is to get
> the mx record and have it point at mail.pilotalk.com and now is this virtual
> hosted with in Postfix or Apache.  You kind of left dry there.  I am
> supposing Postfix as that makes the most sense.  But I want to make sure.
> Also are you familiar enough with Postfix to help me with the steps or to
> find some good docs for Postfix.  I will also look at the documents that
> Postfix provides.

No, I'm not familiar with Postfix, that was mail issues in general.

Whatever server name is used for SMTP to deliver you mail to your
accounts, whether that be mail.pilotalk.com or just pilotalk.com, should
be set an a MX DNS record.  What you actually configure as the MX
depends on what you actually have set up for mail.  Using a mail prefix
is just a common practice.

The MX record should refer to an address that has an A record.  i.e. If
you set mail.pilotalk.com as your MX, then mail.pilotalk.com should have
an A record pointing to its domain.  If mail is a CNAME, and you have no
way to configure it as an A record, then don't set your MX record to use
it.  That results in a double lookup, and other problems.  If you can't
set up a subdomain like mail as A record, only a CNAME record, forget
trying to use one.  Set the MX record for a DNS name that already has an
A record.

When someone tries to mail you, the SMTP mail servers between you and
them use MX records to determine what server they should connect to.
They ask for the MX record for the domain name used in the recipient's
address.  Without that specific information, some presumptions get made,
that may not be good.

It doesn't matter what you're using to read mail (e.g. your mailman
webmail thing).  That's separate.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386