To: "For users of Fedora" <fedora-list@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, July 10, 2007 10:37 PM
Subject: Re: a question about postifx

On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 19:00 -0500, Scott Berry wrote:
Can you tell me what to do here I am thinking it might need to be
www.pilotalk.com:25" but not sure.

Just for the sake of conforming to common expectancies, and *no* other
reason, it'd be unusual to use "www." as the suffix for a mail server
domainname.  Using something like "mail." or "smtp." would be more
commonplace.

Using separate sub-domains has advantages for future expansion.  You
might prefer the services offered by some other company for your mail,
or have to use another machine with the same hosting company.  You can
change the IPs for the mail server independently of the web server, and
not even have to change the configurations of other things.

Once you start running your own mail services, you really ought to have
a MX record with your domain name (that points to your SMTP mail server
address).  At the moment, you don't have one.  The MX record is the
proper way that other servers work out how to send your mail to you.

--
[tim@bigblack ~]$ rm -rfd /*^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^Huname -ipr
2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.