Re: F7- cups - evolution - remote printing failure

On Sun, 2007-07-08 at 08:04 -0500, Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-07-07 at 21:38 -0500, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:

> > > This is totally controlled by the client.conf  and cupsd.conf files on
> > > the client and the server(s). For example, not specifying a server in
> > > the client.conf file on the clients will only alllow you to print to
> > > printers on the same lan. the cupsd.conf on the server(s) determine to
> > > what newtworks will the printer broadcaqting be done.
> > >
> > > If it worked in FC5 and FC6 then your files on those systems were
> > > different then your current files. You should check the manuals at
> > > localhost:631.
> > > --
> > > Aaron Konstam <akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > >
> > Aaron,
> >
> > Thanks for your response.  I checked the client.conf file and cupsd.conf
> > file and there were some slight differences between what I had on the
> > old FC5 system and the new F7 system so I don't think the problem is
> > related to this.  In fact I swapped out both files with the older files
> > just to see and the same symptoms occur.
> >
> > I also have different FC6 on this same network, and cups is set up with
> > very similar settings, and everything works perfectly on it.  The FC6
> > evolution is 2.8.3 whereas the F7 evolution is 2.10.1.
> >
> > The printers are listed using lpstat -a on both systems, and on both
> > systems when I try to print from within evolution I get the same printer
> > listings, but the F7 evolution has the "Print" tab shaded when I try to
> > print to a printer outside of my local network.  I can print remotely on
> > F7 from the command line using lp -d lpt10 ./filename, and lpt10 is
> > displayed on the F7 evolution, but the "Print" tab is shaded when I
> > select lpt10 making the print function unreachable.
> >
> > Thank you for your suggestion to take a hard look at the config files,
> > but they are working like cups should be working.
> >
> > If you or others have additional ideas .... please help.
> >
> > Greg
> >
> Well if lpstat says the printer is availble and lpr can print to the
> printer, you have convinced me that is a problem with evolution. It is a
> mystery though why printine works for me. However all my printers are on
> the same lan.
> --
> You can rent this space for only $5 a week.
> Aaron Konstam telephone: (210) 656-0355 e-mail: akonstam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Openoffice has the same problem... had to check "Use OpenOffice dialogs"
so that the "Print" button would become active.  Before I did this the "Print"
button was shaded with the remote printers.

All printers inside the local network are not affected.

I'll go ahead and file a bug on this today.

Thanks for your thoughts!!!

Greg