Re: [Fwd: F7: Howto monitoring a Hardware sata raid controller]

Tim wrote:

Having sectors go bad is normal for modern hard drives, both because of
their high density and their large number of sectors.  If sectors go bad at
a low rate, it is simply a waste to replace the drive with one that will
hopefully perform the same way and not just fail early.

That's my way of thinking, too.  They have some in-built level of error
handling, for that reason.  So long as the faults are insignificant,
you're okay.  I'm certainly not keen on coughing up $150 for a new
drive, *just* because two sectors stopped working, for instance.

Modern drives have spare sectors that are mapped into use internally if bad ones are detected. However this is normally transparent. If SMART says you've had a few errors that were recovered I wouldn't worry about it. On the other hand if you are seeing errors at the OS level it probably means you are out of usable spares and the drive is about to go. Most manufacturers have an on-line warranty check - if it is still covered, get a replacement. If it isn't, you can probably get twice the space for the same price now.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell@xxxxxxxxx