Re: [Fwd: F7: Howto monitoring a Hardware sata raid controller]

At 12:50 PM +0930 7/5/07, Tim wrote:
>On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 12:36 -0500, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:
>> I don't know if there's any sort of functionality like the drive
>> scrubbing that 3ware cards have.  (They periodically read, reconstruct
>> if necessary and rewrite all of the sectors on all of the drives,
>> which prevents sectors from going bad silently.)  You can run a cron
>> job that asks the drives in your RAID set to do online self fests;
>> smartd may even support doing that automatically.
>
>As far as I can tell, you can get SMART to check drives, but it offers
>nothing to fix them up.

SMART's automatic offline test will scan the drive's surface every 4 hours,
correcting soft errors and remapping any bad sectors that could still be
read.  However, the main goal of SMART is to give about a day's warning of
impending drive failure, so if SMART has anything to say it's usually
rather late to do much repair, but rather time to make one last backup.
(That's the goal; whether SMART succeeds is a different matter.)  See man
smartctl to enable --offlineauto.  Note that, unlike RAID, if a sector on a
drive can't be read, it's data is lost.