Re: Kernel update

Rohan Kulkarni wrote:

>          Then is YUM the best way to  get the kernel updated?

You said you wanted to "update" your kernel to 2.6.21.5 .
That is not a distribution kernel - it is a vanilla kernel,
as produced by Linus Torvalds and his team.

You can only use yum to install a distribution kernel,
like 2.6.21-1.3228.fc7 (the latest Fedora kernel, I think).

If you run "yum update" you will get the latest kernel,
and the latest versions of all other software too.

Personally, I wouldn't try to make an rpm file of the kernel.
It's certainly possible - you would have to make a SPEC file,
and run rpmbuild - but I wouldn't have thought it would be
very useful to you.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366