Re: CNN video

On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 14:11 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Wednesday 04 July 2007, Mike Chambers wrote:
> >On Wed, 2007-07-04 at 13:26 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >> You watched the HBO promo, but did the news story then play ok afterwards?
> >>  It does not.  Click on the story again, and it plays the ()&*%#$ promo
> >> again.
> >
> >Well, it didn't play initially after the promo, just like before.  BUT,
> >I made sure that the User Agent was set for netscape, went back to
> >cnn.com (I think you can just reload the page as well) and got the
> >videos to work.  I think I had one freeze up as before, but reloading
> >the page (I may have reclicked on the video again) got it back to
> >working.
> >
> >Gene - Contact me offlist if you wish, maybe a phone call or something
> >to help figure it out might be in order (I don't care myself, up to
> >you)?
> >

> >--
> >Mike Chambers
> >Madisonville, KY
> >
> >"Best little town on Earth!"
>
> Would you believe its working now?  An hour ago it was dead.  What did I do?
> DamnifIknow. :(

Just got it working as well. Here's what I did:
1) Temporarily disable Greasemonkey script that I use for Fox News
2) Tell UA Switcher to ID as Netscape 4.8 on Vista _before_ attempting
to connect to CNN for the first time
3) Reload video page 2 or 3 times

I don't think there's any guarantee it will continue to work though.
Based on Gene's e-mail to CNN, I also ran both the main page and the
Video page through the HTML validator at W3C. The main page generated
154 errors, with some of them pretty serious and even boneheaded kinds
of mistakes. Same for the video page, which reported 74 errors.

Cheers,

Chris

In theory there is no difference between theory and practice.
In practice there is.

--Yogi Berra