Re: Here are some of my ideas for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9

On 7/3/07, Todd Zullinger <tmz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Valent Turkovic wrote:
> * Beagle and Deskbar installed by default
> these applications make all the difference for an desktop user
> between an "OK" user experience and "wonderful" user experience.
> Work flow using these two applications is radically improved and
> this is what should be showcased as a "Modern linux desktop".
> - also I would add a beagle firefox plugin which also makes all the
> difference when you need some resource you saw online but didn't
> bookmark it or put it on del.ico.us
> - these apps don't waste resources, and the memory footprint is
> really not that much

Beagle had been installed and enabled by default for at least one
previous release.  It was disabled by default (I can't recall if it is
installed in the default install still or not) specifically because of
problems people had where it wasted resources and used up too much
memory.

The beagle was disabled (I'm on bugzilla for that beagle bug and also
I was active in discussions on mailing lists when that happened) but
IMHO the reasoning that was for it to not be installed by default
would make Fedora 7 look like Fedora Core 3 if it was applied to
fedora as a whole and not only to beagle.

I have substantially tested beagle on 7 different desktops and had
ZERO problems. Also the bug in bugzilla is really vague. I have much
more problems with other features in Fedora 7; like user switcher
which, if you haven't used it, causes data losses and time losses.
When other user logs in then after some time first X session just
crashes taking all apps and all the work that has been going on there
down with it! This is a MUCH more severe bug that beagle can produce
and it is still installed by default on all Fedora 7 desktops. This is
inconsistent. Either don't include any of new fetures that aren't
rock-solid in Fedora 7, 8, 9, etc, or give us these great apps and
iron the bugs out along the was. Fedora team should have left beagle
installed an on by default and hunt down and squashed that bug.

There are discussions and other details in the archives of
fedora-devel from a few months back when the decision to pull it was
made.  I don't think there's disagreement than desktop search is a
nice feature to have, but the feeling was that the tools are simply
not ready quite yet.

I can give you my point again; half of the apps on gnome and kde
aren't quite there yet. Yet we all know that and still use them.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241