Re: Here are some of my ideas for Fedora 8 and Fedora 9

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> * Beagle and Deskbar installed by default
> these applications make all the difference for an desktop user
> between an "OK" user experience and "wonderful" user experience.
> Work flow using these two applications is radically improved and
> this is what should be showcased as a "Modern linux desktop".
> - also I would add a beagle firefox plugin which also makes all the
> difference when you need some resource you saw online but didn't
> bookmark it or put it on del.ico.us
> - these apps don't waste resources, and the memory footprint is
> really not that much

Beagle had been installed and enabled by default for at least one
previous release.  It was disabled by default (I can't recall if it is
installed in the default install still or not) specifically because of
problems people had where it wasted resources and used up too much
memory.

There are discussions and other details in the archives of
fedora-devel from a few months back when the decision to pull it was
made.  I don't think there's disagreement than desktop search is a
nice feature to have, but the feeling was that the tools are simply
not ready quite yet.

    -- Aldous Huxley