Re: [Gimp-print-devel] I have an update problem.

On Saturday 30 June 2007, Roger Leigh wrote:
>Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
>> On Saturday 30 June 2007, Robert L Krawitz wrote:
>>>You should be able to have both versions of Gutenprint installed
>>>concurrently.  Whether the RPM's are built that way is another matter.
>>
>> That's my point in the fedora list which I've added to the To: list
>>
>> But, we're talking about gimp-print-4.2.7-23 over-writing my
>> gutenprint-5.10-6 install with what is to me, broken code for my
>> epson printer(s)
>
>While it's perfectly possible to build both 4.2.7 and 5.0.x from
>source and install them concurrently, the package dependencies may
>still prevent it.  For example, I don't permit it in Debian; there's
>just one gimp-print package which was 4.2.7 and is now 5.0.x; I didn't
>see any added value in allowing use of the old version.  However, the
>shared libraries (libgutenprint1 and libgutenprint2) can still be
>installed side-by-side.
>
>Whether or not this is possible in Fedora depends upon how they
>decided to package it.  I'm not familiar with Fedora, so I would
>suggest checking the package contents and dependencies to figure out
>why.

That means I have to get the package to my machine.  Is there such a command
that will cause yum to download only?

>At least in Debian, the GIMP package is built without printing support
>(no gimp-print 4.2.x dependencies) and then the Print plugin from
>Gutenprint is used to provide printing support.

Which is exactly how it should be.  I've NDI why fedora chose to do it their
way and screw it up royally.  Perhaps someone from fedora can offer a cogent,
sensible reason?

Thanks Roger.

--
Cheers, Gene