Re: selinux eradicator?

Jim Cornette wrote:
Mike McCarty wrote:

I quote:

"the management of SELinux needs and will improve with the continuous development of better user space tools"

That is faith, not a matter of technical fact.

Install F7, try out the SELinux Troubleshooter. It is a tool and surely

No, thanks.

[snip]

A fellow was being roundly and unreasonably criticized for not
wanting to run SELinux.

How do we know that? Maybe he is a hacker foiled by SELinux preventing execution of his scripts on target machines.

Good point. OTOH, that's not what the criticism was
about.

If I saw a request here asking how one would make root not
have a password, I might comment that IMO it was a bad idea,
but I wouldn't use sarcastic criticism[*] to try to convince
him of that idea. I would supply the information on how to
do it. Certainly, until one knows what the eventual goal
of someone else it, it doesn't make sense to criticize
it. Having root have no password is a reasonable thing for
a LiveCD, for example.

Interpretations are different. I read Get rid of needing to install anything ELinux completely or I'm changing to a different distro.

That's not what I wrote. I was writing about the distro, not what
my plans are. Personally, I don't want SELinux at present. That
might change. I don't plan to install later versions of FC, but
since that is upstream of RHEL and CentOS which I am likely to move to
some day, I have a certain stake in this matter.

I have root set up with password and run as a "normal" user
mostly to protect myself from mistakes. The standard commands
use terse easy to mistype names which, if run as root, can do
substantial damage when mistyped. So, I am very unlikely to do
damage to my system when logged in as me. When I switch to root,
I then take especial care to watch what I type, and look
before I hit return.

Life is easier when you don't have servers running :-)

Life is also easier when you keep your machine backed up.

If I got rooted, I'd probably just install CentOS and reload from
backup.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.