Re: Microsoft closes another deal, is redhat next?

Robin Laing wrote:
Scott van Looy wrote:
This is nothing to do with firefox or mozilla or KDE or gnome or fedora, it's simply a crap web designer/programmer who needs shooting. Complain to the website if you can't access it, there's no reason at all for you not being able to

This falls on deaf ears many times.

Our corporate WWW site has just moved to some Microsoft portal software and in Linux or Firefox, keep getting popups about not being IE. I contacted the admin and their response was everyone was using IE. At least they thought this. I spent almost 30 minutes on the phone with this person and found out that they were living in a bubble of what they were taught. I even pointed out that if they updated their software, it would support Firefox.

I recall working at a company where nearly everyone used Sun
workstations. But the corporate office used PCs with MicroSoft
products. Someone there decided that there were some special
memos that everyone should read, and started sending out e-mails
with Word for Windows Documents as attachments. Some of them
were megs in size. Of course, to my mail reader (I used Pine)
it was just a lot of binary goop MIME base-64 encoded.

I wrote her a polite e-mail letting her know that I couldn't read
what she sent, and asked her please not to send me more like that.

I got back a very patient e-mail explaining that all I had to do
was click on the attachment and it would pop up.

I wrote back that I had no way to do that, and politely requested
that she not send me more memos.

I got another polite message explaining how to set up Outlook.

I wrote back that I didn't have Outlook, or any other mail reader
running with Windows, because I used a Sun with SunOS.

She wrote back that I just needed to install it, and explained
how to do that in Windows NT.

I gave up.

She sent me another memo, and I simply sent it back, quoted as
she sent it, with a little explanation that this was what she
sent me, and now she could see how it looked to me, and politely
requesting that she stop sending me these huge balls of goop.

I got back a bewildered question as to why I sent her such
a large amount of goop, along with a request not to send her such stuff.
I tried to explain over three or so e-mail exchanges, that SHE SENT IT
TO ME.

Anyway, after I sent her back megs of stuff several times, she
started threatening me to report me to the corporate people and
get me stopped/in trouble/fired/whatever she could.

I asked her please to do so, because then maybe we could get things
straightened out.

I got a telephone call a few days later from a guy who was pretty
angry with me for annoying his staff. I carefully explained the
situation, and sent him copies of my patient requests not to send such
goop. After a few moments he understood what was going on, and went to
look at her e-mail history to verify my story. He called me back in
about an hour and became polite and even somewhat apologetic, and the
lady was told to use a different alias, which just went to "corporate
all", not "company wide all".

The memos weren't interesting or useful to the engineering staff,
anyway. I don't think she ever understood why I was "being so rude".
She was just glad that I stopped sending her all that mysterious
weird megs of goop.

That stuff was going to over 5,000 engineers who couldn't read any
of it.

At present, much of the corporate WWW site is not easily accessible to me as I use Linux.

With such kinds of people, your mileage WON'T vary.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.