Re: Microsoft closes another deal, is redhat next?

On Saturday, June 16, 2007 6:26 pm Antonio Olivares wrote:
> Suse/Novell, Linspire and Xandros have signed a pact with Microsoft to
> protect them from a lawsuit(s).  Many people wish that Red Hat does not
> fall into these kind of deals and hope that they truly will stand away from
> them.

Or so they say.  Hints dropped so far is that the real purpose behind these
deals is...
1)  So Microsoft can claim their IP is in Linux and that some parties agree
with them.
2)  To actually pollute FLOSS with Microsoft IP so if they do decide to start
with the lawsuits, they'll have some sort of legal ground instead of
finger-pointing.

As for people who doubt that 2 is realistic, Microsoft has a history of doing
this with standards bodies...