Re: linking with dynamic libraries

On 25/06/07, Mohammed El-Afifi <mohammed_elafifi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I'm using fedora 6, the 64-bit edition. I'm trying to build a program that
links with the library Xxf86vm located in the standard library path
/usr/lib. I get an error message that indicates that the library doesn't
exit. The error message says something like this, "ld returned 1 exit
status".
I checked the path /usr/lib and found that the library does exist. The real
name of the library is libXxf86vm.so.1.0.0, and the versioned soname, which
is a symbolic link to the real name, is libXxf86vm.so.1. Both names exist.
However the version-less link name, libXxf86vm.so, doesn't exit.

Install the missing "-devel" packages for all X libraries you want to
link against, e.g. libX11-devel, libXxf86vm-devel, and so on. The
-devel packages contain the non-versioned symlinks you are in search
of. ldconfig is for run-time linking, not build-time linking.