linking with dynamic libraries

I'm using fedora 6, the 64-bit edition. I'm trying to build a program that links with the library Xxf86vm located in the standard library path /usr/lib. I get an error message that indicates that the library doesn't exit. The error message says something like this, "ld returned 1 exit status".
I checked the path /usr/lib and found that the library does exist. The real name of the library is libXxf86vm.so.1.0.0, and the versioned soname, which is a symbolic link to the real name, is libXxf86vm.so.1. Both names exist. However the version-less link name, libXxf86vm.so, doesn't exit.
I tried to run ldconfig to update the links. It updates them but doesn't create the version-less link name. Of course I can create the link myself, but there are a lot of libraries in /usr/lib, that I may link with in the future, and they don't have a version-less link name(, only a real name and a versioned soname).
Is there any way(with ldconfig or any other way) to automatically generate the version-less link name for all libraries in /usr/lib instead of doing this manually?
Appreciating your fast response. Thanks for your help.

Got a little couch potato?