Re: Livna nVidia problems...

On Sat, 2007-06-23 at 10:11 +0100, Chris Jones wrote:
> One minor complication theses days is there is effectively 2 legacy
> drivers. A 1.0-96xx driver that supports old cards, and a 1.0-71xx
> driver that supports really old cards...
>
> The livna readme
>
> http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86/100.14.11/README/appendix-a.html
>
> Quite clearly shows that your card should be support by the 1.0-96xx
> driver.

Clearly a URI that just jumps out at you as being the place too look...
But being serious, I did google around with the information on my card,
got one thing that suggested the plain-legacy-named file, another that
didn't.  Would it be too hard for Nvidia to have just one driver
package, or at least an analysis package that could get the one that you
need?  It's the computer, not me.

Anyway, feeling adventurous, I had another bash at it.  And this time,
with that driver, it's working.  The monitor's even selected with the
right resolutions!  I've given it a little stress test, and I haven't
made it blow up, yet.

> While you are at it, I would also grab the package yum-fedorakmod.
> When a new kernel is released there is, naturally, a short delay
> between the release and the various third party repos making the
> kernel modules for the new kernel available. If you where to upgrade
> during this period you would end up with a system with no X...

Which is another of those situations where that other business of
uninstalling nvidia, to use something else while you wait, then
re-installing, would be annoying.

> This package fixes this by making yum hold back any kernel updates
> until all the kmods you have installed are also available.

Yes, I'll have a look at that too.  I downloaded it, but haven't done
anything more than an rpm -qi on it, so far.  That wasn't clear whether
it'd delay the installion of one thing or the other until all the needed
parts had arrived.  I would think it'd have to work both ways.

--
(This box runs FC7, my others still run FC 4, 5, 6, & CentOS 5.0, in
 case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.